October 6, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (Oct. 6): Odd


This week, Booking Through Thursday, asks:
What's the oddest book you've ever read? Did you like it? Hate it? Did it make you think?
Wow, this is an incredibly hard question to actually answer. Personally, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single book that I have found completely odd. There are parts in a novel that I can sometimes find weird or new, but nothing about the books I have read really scream "odd." However, I have read a short story by Roald Dahl (the author of Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.) titled "Lamb to the Slaughter." Now that I think about it, a lot of Roald Dahl's books are strange! I love them anyway. So, this "Lamb to the Slaughter" story. I read it in school and in case you don't know what it's about, the story revolves around a woman who ends up killing her husband with a frozen leg of lamb because he apparently wants to leave her. She is ready to accept the consequences but begins to fret because she is worried about the child she is carrying. So, what happens is she puts the leg of lamb into the oven and cooks it. She goes to the grocer so that she has an alibi. When she makes her way back home to her dead husband she calls the police. The police figure that the man was probably killed by a large blunt object, most likely made of metal. As the officers are speaking, the wife - now a widow - offers them the lamb. As the lamb finishes, the two officers discuss the possible location of the murder weapon. One of the officers say something along the lines of, "Probably right under our noses." And that's the end of the story.

So yeah, this is probably one of the oddest stories I've ever read. I've never heard of officers eating the evidence to a murder case. It's hilarious but creepy. It gives that feeling you have when you're laughing but you're actually really nervous. I personally really liked it. It sheds light on the fact that sometimes what we're looking for is right in front of us and that we should always look at every possibly side of a story. The EPIC irony in this story is awesome. It really made me think and I was entertained.

Leave a comment down below with your BTT~

Wishlist?

Darkest Mercy
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Rise of the Evening Star
Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books
Grip of the Shadow Plague
The Necromancer
City of Fallen Angels
Insignia
Anne of Ingleside
Where She Went
Dust & Decay
Spells
Queste
The Legacy
Never Dead
Slumber
Life Is But a Dream
The Lost Hero
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary


Demijel's favorite books »
}