August 24, 2011

REVIEW: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I FallBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was amazing. There are just no simple words to describe how much I loved/hated this book. To invoke such emotions with mere words is quite the feat.

The story starts with the reader being introduced to a very superficial, materialistic girl who seems to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. She sees the world in her one-sided view, often not taking into consideration the people around her. However, that changes the night she attends a party with her best friends. That night, everything crashes in around her.

Unfortunately, she wakes up and lives it all over again.

Seven days. Seven tries.

I honestly did not know what to expect when I heard about this book. I started off being introduced to Lauren Oliver through Delirium. A shame because this book was 1000 times better even though I did love the former. There were so many things I loved, like the unexpected collision of Mean Girls and Groundhog Day; the wonderfully spun and poetic words of Oliver; the relatable and highly realistic characters, the interesting plot, and so much more. What I loved most though was the fact that Ms. Oliver seamlessly spun a tale of how a person grew emotionally. From the beginning to the end, it was a seamless transition. The protagonist grows before your very eyes and that is amazing.

I have never read a book with so much character development that wasn't part of an entire series. To pack so much growth in seven days and in one book is phenomenal. I hated the protagonist, I wanted her gone, I pitied her, I scoffed at her, I wanted to throw the book at the wall, I thought she deserved to die. I started to love her. I started to sympathize with her. I wanted her to live and have the happy ending she deserved now. And then I was devastated. These were the thoughts and emotions I zip-lined through as I read the book, and it was wonderful.

View all my reviews

Wishlist?

Darkest Mercy
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Rise of the Evening Star
Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books
Grip of the Shadow Plague
The Necromancer
City of Fallen Angels
Insignia
Anne of Ingleside
Where She Went
Dust & Decay
Spells
Queste
The Legacy
Never Dead
Slumber
Life Is But a Dream
The Lost Hero
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary


Demijel's favorite books »
}