October 17, 2011

Musing Mondays (Oct. 17)


Musing Mondays is a meme hosted at MizB's Should Be Reading.

This week's musing asks...
Do you judge a book by its cover?

As most people probably know by now, from all the CCs and comments I leave about book covers, I am a person who LOVES gorgeous binding. I enjoy having something nice to read, but also having something really pretty to look at. I like the way books look on my shelf when they've got awesome covers and I like picking up a book and seeing that it looks professional. I admit to this. I am shallow this way.

However, I do not "judge" books by their cover. They may attract my attention but never do I really "judge" them based on that. If something sounds interesting, I pick it up, no matter what the cover looks like. I am always open minded when going into a book, no matter how horrible or wonderful the cover is.

I probably have missed out on a lot of books that are really good because the cover did not attract me though. In the same way, I've read a couple of books with gorgeous covers that turned out to be experiences not worth sharing.

I guess, having a nice cover is all well and good, but the content inside the binding is the thing that matters most. At the same time, if the writing is really, really good and the story is just as awesome, slapping on an attractive image as a cover to attract people wouldn't do any harm.

What about you guys? Do you let the covers of books do the talking? Leave a comment below or post at SBR! Have a wonderful day!

Wishlist?

Darkest Mercy
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Rise of the Evening Star
Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books
Grip of the Shadow Plague
The Necromancer
City of Fallen Angels
Insignia
Anne of Ingleside
Where She Went
Dust & Decay
Spells
Queste
The Legacy
Never Dead
Slumber
Life Is But a Dream
The Lost Hero
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary


Demijel's favorite books »
}