September 26, 2011

Musing Mondays (Sept. 26)

Musing Mondays is a meme hosted at MizB's Should Be Reading.

This week's musing asks...
What does it take for you to give up on a book you're reading?

I hardly EVER give up on a book. It is incredibly hard for me because I am the type of person who puts time into something (well, books only really) and even if I get bored, I think, “Hey, I’ve already invested so much time in this, why give up now?” This type of mentality is driving me into the ground though.

If anything, I do put some books off. I don’t necessarily give up in the middle, I just set it aside so that when I come back to it, I’m not so disinterested in the book. However, I can put books off for months on end without going back to them at all. Eventually though, I do pry open its pages again and start reading from where I had left off.

I think there’s only been one book I have given up on. Like, I mean, I might never pick it up again. The book in question is "A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray. I don’t really have anything against her writing but I just couldn’t finish the book, I seriously didn’t even make it past the first chapter. I read the first few pages and I put it down instantly. In my mind I thought, “OK, I’ll get back to it later,” but I never even took a second look. It's the only time I've ever felt that way about a book, especially a novel that's so highly regarded by many people.

I think, for me, the only reason I would give up on a book is if the characters really didn't connect with me, or the plot got incredibly boring or offending after many chapters. However, I can't guarantee this as a criteria since there have been books that offended me that I somehow finished reading. I guess, if anything, what would make me put a book down completely is how busy I am and how easily distracted at the moment.

As of right now though, I think I have five or so books on hold because they’re taking up too much time to read and school has started. I don’t know which ones I’ll read all the way through, and which ones I might actually end up giving away to someone else.

How about all of you? What makes you want to throw a book against the wall and never pick it up again?

Wishlist?

Darkest Mercy
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Rise of the Evening Star
Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books
Grip of the Shadow Plague
The Necromancer
City of Fallen Angels
Insignia
Anne of Ingleside
Where She Went
Dust & Decay
Spells
Queste
The Legacy
Never Dead
Slumber
Life Is But a Dream
The Lost Hero
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary


Demijel's favorite books »
}