December 31, 2011

ARC REVIEW: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

TitleCinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
Auhor(s): Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Format: Paperback ARC / PDF
Pages: 387
Source: Raincoast Books / NetGalley
Buy: Amazon || The Book Depository

Badge(s):



Summary from GR:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

My Review:

I remember first seeing Cinder on my feed on Goodreads and clicking on it because I was like, “OWH-MAHGUSH! CINDERELLA 8D!!!” So when I got an ARC of the book, I was ecstatic (literally skipping around my apartment with an idiotic grin on my face).

Originality oozes from Cinder's pages. It was incredible. It was exciting, it was dynamic, it was serious, and I don't think I've ever read anything like it. Of course, this book does have its downsides, however, my excitement and eagerness to find out what happens next pretty much eclipses them. But before we get to my thoughts, a little something about the book:

Cinder is a very talented mechanic. In fact, she's the best in New Beijing. Thing is, she's also a cyborg, and let's just say that cyborgs aren't welcomed in the world with...well...open arms.

Orphaned by a tragic accident that supposedly killed her parents, Cinder's life is saved only with the implementation of her robotic parts. When she is found by a gentlemen and brought to New Beijing, her life is changed forever.

It is a small consolation to have a friend in her stepsister Peony. But Cinder's life doesn't seem to like her being happy. Peony is all too soon ripped away from her by a plague that's been spreading through New Beijing, claiming thousands of lives. What's she to do when the only home she's known no longer wants her? What happens when her Prince Charming finds out her secrets? And how will Cinder handle it when the weight of the world, and that of the Lunar people, is all of sudden thrust upon her shoulders?

The greatest thing about Cinder is probably the originality of the story and the way it urges me to want to know more. The story starts of slow. Definitely. But it picks up toward the middle and throughout the end. The story become addicting and fun, and there comes a creeping sense of danger and death as secrets begin to reveal themselves. Albeit these 'secrets' are fairly predictable, but that's easily overlooked because of the writing. There are so many elements that are just absolute genius. A cyborg Cinderella? Seriously, that's some stroke of genius right there. The attention to detail is also fantastic. I could pretty much imagine the entire world in my head. It was like a movie scrolling in my mind. I was captivated by the serious tone the book took on as well. It was subtle, without being disengaging.

As for the characters, there are both positive and negative sides to them. Cinder seems a little inconsistent, and she sometimes becomes irritating. However, there are glimpses into her emotional strength that got me cheering for her. The other characters are also pretty interesting. I loved how the story of Cinderella is twisted a bit so that one of the stepsisters is actually nice (Peony). I also REALLY enjoyed Kai's character. I was pleasantly surprised at how dutiful he was to his people and how he kept himself in control most of the time. I really enjoyed this twist to “Prince Charming.” The only time I wanted to bash him over the head was toward the end when he figures out what Cinder is.

I guess this brings me to the romance between Cinder and Kai. They are so adorable. Honestly. The romance isn't forced, nor is it rushed. In fact, you don't even sense the romance sometimes because the story is shoved to the forefront, taking precedence over the lovey-dovey stuff. When Kai and Cinder do interact though, it is the most adorable thing on earth! There is definitely some chemistry there, I just hope it becomes more fleshed out in the later books.

So, overall, I really enjoyed this book! It has its up and downs, but the sheer readability is what made it come alive for me. I want to know more about this world that Marissa Meyer has created. I want to know what will happen to these characters as more secrets are revealed, and more lives are put in danger. I also REALLY want to know what will happen between Cinder and Kai. After what happens at the end of the novel, I can only imagine the impact of the situation on these two main characters.

Wishlist?

Darkest Mercy
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Rise of the Evening Star
Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books
Grip of the Shadow Plague
The Necromancer
City of Fallen Angels
Insignia
Anne of Ingleside
Where She Went
Dust & Decay
Spells
Queste
The Legacy
Never Dead
Slumber
Life Is But a Dream
The Lost Hero
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary


Demijel's favorite books »
}